Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Four years!

Yesterday was mine and Colby's FOUR YEAR anniversary. I wrote that in caps because I am just baffled at the fact that it has been four years since this all began. It all started the summer after I graduated UCSB - I was having such an amazing summer with my girlfriends, going out dancing, beach during the day, working a job I knew I wouldn't stay at just to pay the bills and live the good life for a while. Colby was living the California dream living with 4 other guys in a house on the West side.

Medical school was always my dream and I knew I would go one day but after not getting accepted to start in the fall of 2007, I decided to take a leap of faith, apply to Ross in January 2008 and the rest is history!

Here is a little recap of our nomadic lifestyle:
April 2008 - left Santa Barbara (I remember the drive to my mom's house clear as day)
May 2008 - moved to Dominica for 1st semester
July 2008 - Kim && Warren came to visit us on Dominica :)
August 2008 - vacation to Barbados, just the two of us
Sept 2008 - 2nd semester on Dominica
December 2008 - came home to CA for Christmas
January 2009 - moved to Grand Bahama Island for semesters 3 && 4
(June 2009 - broke my leg - shit!)
July 2009 - Colby moved back to WA to start working and wait for me to get there
August 2009 - Basic sciences complete! Back to America!
Sept - Dec 2009 - Saginaw, MI for me, WA/ID for Colby
Dec 2009 - SAKE JOINED TEAM BLACK-BROWN!
Dec 2009 - March 2010 - back together in Coeur d'Alene, ID
March - April - Lake Forest, CA
May - Dec 2009 - Atlanta, GA
-- Colby has stayed in ATL working but I have been everywhere --
Dec 2010 - Feb 2011 - Worcester, MA
Feb - April - Augusta, GA
April - June - Long Beach, CA
... and for now I am currently back at home, enjoying life post-Step 2!

Next up: Brooklyn, NY --> Phoenix, AZ --> ?? Houston, TX --> Augusta, GA --> ?? Norwalk, CA --> DONE!

So that is my horrific, nomadic life. I am DYING for residency to start for more reasons that one but a biggie is being stationary. Having a home that we both come home to every night (well, most nights), knowing 100% that we will be there, in that same city, together, for 4 years is magical.

Now we are just 263 days until the wedding! I have been crazy about planning and looking at pictures since I took Step 2 last Monday and I literally feel like a bomb has gone off in my head with ideas. In addition, I found an awesome girl who is helping us honeymoon plan and she sent over 4 resort options last night so now we have to decide on that - SUCH A HARD DECISION!

I feel like this post is all over the place but that is okay -- that is what my brain feels like.

Off to get finger printed for the DoJ and FBI! Yay California medical licensing! :)

Here is us last night at a great little restaurant called Sprig


by Marissa ♥

1 comment:

Amber Elizabeth said...

I love your love story! There is so much commitment and passion between you two. :) Here's to 64 more years!